While you get the samsung Galaxy S9 or S9+ smartphone and want to install custome apps, you will be meet some trouble, you must root your Galaxy S9/S9+, in this guide we will share how to root them and how to install TWRP. Please make sure your phone model are SM-G960F / FD / N / X and SM-G965F / FD / N / X, don’t try on any other device whatsoever!
Does rooting void warranty?
Warranty may be void of your Galaxy S9/S9 Plus), if you follow the procedures given on this page. You only are responsible for your device. We won’t be liable if any damage occurs to your device and/or its components. So make sure that you’re comfortable with the procedure and its consequences beforehand.
Why should I root my Galaxy S9/S9+ phone?
Once you root your phone done, you can delete or unistall the factory apps, also install unauthorized apps and custom Roms.
Please make sure to check the “Supported Variants and Models” section below before proceeding to the instructions.
Samsung Galaxy S9
Compatible: Model no. SM-G960F/FD/N/X (powered by Exynos processor); codename starlte
Not Compatible: It won’t work with Galaxy S9 Plus handsets with these model nos.: SM-G965U/U1/W/0/2/8/SC; codename starqlte
Samsung Galaxy S9+
Compatible: Model no. SM-G965F/FD/N/X (powered by Exynos processor); codename star2lte
Not Compatible: It won’t work with Galaxy S9 Plus handsets with these model nos.: SM-G965U/U1/W/0/2/8/SC; codename star2qlte
Here are something you must pay attention to read.
- Please make sure your phone’s battery have more then 70% battery level, don’t power off when root or install apps on your phones.
- Please backup your own data, including photos, apps, messages and contacts. If you don’t know how to do, learn how to backup Android phone.
- Download Odin v1.13.1 and extract the file to an easily accessible location on the PC. ( Learn where to downlaod Samsung Odin and how to install it)
- Download Samsung Galaxy S9/S9+ USB drivers, and install it on your PC.
- TWRP Recovery for Galaxy S9 (starlte): twrp-3.3.1-0-starlte.img.tar (Check the latest build here)
- TWRP Recovery for Galaxy S9 Plus (star2lte): twrp-3.3.1-0-star2lte.img.tar (Check the latest build here)
- You maybe like: Samsung TWRP Recovery Download List 2019
- No-verity Disabler ZIP: no-verity-opt-encrypt-samsung-1.0.zip
- RMM State Bypass: RMM__Bypass_v3_corsicanu.zip (Thanks BlackMesa123 & corsicanu!)
- ElementalX kernel for Galaxy S9/S9 Plus (Download the kernel zip corresponding to the software build number installed on your phone):
- SuperSU 2.82 SR5: SR5-SuperSU-v2.82-SR5-20171001224502.zip
- Magisk 16.6 Beta: Magisk-v19.3.zip (More info and changelog)
If you’re someone who wants to install a custom recovery on their device and then go on to root it, read on, as we show you how we can do:
Enable Developer Options and Enable OEM Unlock in Settings
1. First off, head over to Settings -> About phone -> Software information. Tap on the “Build no.” seven times to enable Developer Options.
2. Next up, head over to Settings -> Developer options, and enable the toggle next to “OEM Unlock”.
Now that the setting is enabled, you can easily flash custom binaries on your Samsung Galaxy phone using Odin. The first step in order to root Samsung Galaxy S9 and Galaxy S9 Plus is to install TWRP recovery. The section below will take you through the complete process in detail.
Step by step Install TWRP on Galaxy S9/S9 Plus
- Download TWRP recovery for Galaxy S9 and Galaxy S9 Plus.
- Go to the extracted Odin folder and double-click on “Odin3 v3.13.1.exe”.
- Power off the phone completely.
- Hold the Volume Down, Bixby, and Power button simultaneously.
- On the warning screen, press the Volume Up button to enter Download Mode on Galaxy S9/S9 Plus.
- As the Odin window loads, you shall see “Added!!” in the message box. The ID:COM port should also light up.
- In case it doesn’t, then try using a different USB port or re-install the USB drivers.
- In the ‘Options’ tab, make sure ‘Auto Reboot’ and ‘Re-Partition’ boxes are not selected.
- Next, click on the ‘AP’ button under the ‘Files’ section.
- Select the TWRP recovery .tar file for your device.
- Finally, click the ‘Start’ button to install TWRP recovery on Samsung Galaxy S9 and Galaxy S9 Plus.
- After the flashing process is complete, the phone shall stay in Download Mode.
After the flashing process is complete, the phone shall stay in Download Mode.
Here are something you must to know, that to boot into TWRP mode directly is very important. if by any chance your phone boots into the OS, the Prenormal RMM State will be set. This will force you to wait for another 7 Day period before you can actually flash anything. Once done, you can easily root Samsung Galaxy S9 and Galaxy S9 Plus.
Boot Galaxy S9/S9 Plus into TWRP Recovery
- Hold the Volume Down, Bixby, and Power button simultaneously until the phone powers off.
- Important: As soon as the screen shuts down, release the Volume Down key and hold the Volume Up button while still holding the Bixby and Power buttons.
- Your Galaxy S9/S9+ should boot into TWRP recovery.
- On the ‘Unmodified System Partition’ screen, slide the ‘Swipe to Allow Modifications’ button.
Now that you have successfully booted into TWRP, you can follow the next section to disable encryption on Samsung Galaxy S9 and Galaxy S9 Plus.
Disable Encryption and Prevent Prenormal KG/RMM State
- Go to ‘Wipe’ and tap on ‘Format Data’.
- Enter ‘Yes’ in the provided field to completely format the device.
- Once finished, go back to the main TWRP screen.
- Tap on “Mount” and select “Enable MTP”.
- Connect the phone to the PC using the USB cable.
- Download DM-Verity disabler and KG/RMM State Bypass zip files from the ‘Downloads’ section above.
- Transfer the files to the phone’s internal storage.
- Disconnect the device.
- Tap on the ‘Install’ button.
- Navigate to the internal storage and select the file.
- Swipe the button to flash the ZIP and disable encryption on Samsung Galaxy S9/S9+.
- Finally, install RMM State Bypass zip to prevent your phone from being locked again (Prenormal KG/RMM State).
The final step is to root the phone. However, flashing the root solution would not suffice. That is because Samsung has implemented several security measures. To overcome this, you can simply flash a custom kernel (We recommend ElementalX) and then root Samsung Galaxy S9 and Galaxy S9 Plus using Magisk.
How to Root Samsung Galaxy S9 and Galaxy S9 Plus
Here is how you can install root access safely on your Galaxy S9 without needing to worry about the new RMM lock trick of Samsung.
- Make sure you have installed the TWRP recovery using the guide given above.
- Download the required files:
- Reboot into TWRP recovery. For this, power off the device. Once the screen goes off, wait for at least 5-6 seconds, and then press and hold the Volume Up and Power buttons together to reach TWRP.
- Wipe the data partition now.
- Tap on Wipe option, and and then select Format Data option.
- Type yes on the next screen to delete the data partition, which will delete everything on the device, including apps, data, and all the files on the internal storage. (Make sure you have an appropriate backup of data and files with you saved on PC before doing this!)
→ We need to wipe data partition to avoid errors/warnings like ‘Integrity verification failed’ or ‘RMM Lock’.
- Reboot the device in TWRP recovery again. For this, press the home button, then Reboot, and then Recovery. Data partition should be mountable now.
- Root the Galaxy S9/S9+ now. Here’s how:
- Connect the device to PC if disconnected.
- Transfer the Magisk file to your Galaxy S9.
- Install the Magisk file. On the TWRP’s home screen, tap on Install button, and then select the Magisk file. Swipe at the bottom of the screen to confirm the installation.
- Install the RMM Bypass file too the same way.
- Tap on the Reboot System button. Or, from the home page of TWRP, tap on Reboot option, and then on System to restart your Galaxy S9/S9+.
These are the ways about how to root Samsung Galaxy S9/S9 Plus tutorial by install TWRP, If you have any questions, please leave them down in the comments. Our store now offering Samsung Galaxy S9 case and charger for cheap price, check now.